India secured its 500th ODI win in 2nd ODI in Nagpur. At one stage, Australia was looking good to win the match convincingly. Having 5 wickets in hand, they were needed just 33 runs from 34 balls. But Virat Kohli again tried something unexpected. It was the last over and he handed the ball to newbie Vijay Shankar. Vijay encashed the opportunity with both hands by successfully defending 11 runs and taking two wickets. India won the match by 8 runs. The stage for this exciting win was set by Jasprit Bumrah and Kuldeep Yadav.
Batting 1st India scored 250 runs in 48 overs. Virat Kohli was the top scorer with 116 runs, his 40th century. Interestingly Kohli took 139 innings lesser than Sachin Tendulkar to score his 40th ODI century.
500th ODI win and More Records
- It was India’s 500th win in a one day international.
- During his inning, Kohli broke another record by scoring fastest 9000 runs as a captain.
- Virat Kohli is now fastest to reach 4K, 5K, 6K, 7K, 8K, and 9K runs as a captain.
- Kohli has slammed ton in each of India’s 400th, 450th and 500th wins.
- Ravindra Jadeja became 3rd Indian with 2000+ runs and 150+ wickets in ODI. Now he is right behind Kapil Dev and Sachin Tendulkar. Currently, he is a black horse and best allrounder of Indian cricket.
Test of skills on a slow and dry pitch of Nagpur
Nagpur one day was not an easy win. It was a dry and slow pitch, a heaven for the spinners. Australia was in command for most of the match. But it was India who has the last laugh. While batting, India wasn’t able to utilize all 50 overs. Indian team got out in 48 overs. Thanks to the Virat Kohli’s 116 that India achieved a respectable and fighting total.
While defending the total, it was an electric performance of bowling and fielding. Dhoni was electric behind the stump. Fielding led by Kohli, Jadeja was electric. Fast and spin combination of Jasprit Bumrah, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, and Kedar Jadhav ensured a convincing win for India.